Disclaimer

All of the content, links, images, and opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, September 20, 2010

One month to go....

So this blog entry marks the beginning of my chronicling my adventures as a Peace Corps volunteer in Rwanda. On October 19th I will fly to Philadelphia for what is called “staging” (basically, a pre-service orientation/meetup where we go over basic things, get fun immunizations, and get to meet everyone in our group before we fly over to Rwanda together), and on October 20th I will fly to Rwanda along with the rest of my group.

It has been about four weeks since my invitation to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Rwanda. The news came as somewhat of a shock, as I thought I had narrowed down the likely assignments, and Rwanda was not among the possibilities I thought likely. My first reaction was a total mixture of emotions: excitement, anxiety, confusion, shock, apprehension, and every other possible emotion. I’d also be lying if I said the decision was an easy one, even though this is something I had been planning on doing for quite some time. The reality is, no matter how many times you run through scenarios, it is never the same until it’s actually real and the time has come to make decisions. I think I may have slept a total of 4 hours during a period of about 3 days…

Anyway, I have since accepted and will be departing in about a month. I’ll be using this blog to keep everyone updated on my time in Rwanda and give some insight into what my everyday life is like. Access permitting, I’ll be updating this as frequently as I can…

1 comment: