Disclaimer

All of the content, links, images, and opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, November 26, 2010




This is just going to be a photo upload, and since it takes forever I'm only putting up a few. One of them is a picture of my bedroom where I'm currently living in Nyanza, and the other pics are from my site in Musange (in Nyamagabe District).

The pictures from my site are pictures of the building I'll be living in. It's kind of like a motel style rowhouse building owned by the school. I don't have any pictures from the inside, but there are just two rooms, one will obviously be the living area and the other one will be my bedroom. They are currently building me a latrine and bathing area outside of my rooms (basically right in front ha..). It is supposed to be done by the time I get there in January, and one of the PC Staff will be visiting it before I move in, and I'm fine with whatever so I'm sure I'll be perfectly happy. In all honesty, I prefer this to having been given some huge house which would make me feel weird and set me apart even further status wise and make it harder to integrate. And it's right next to the school, and very close to the market (which is only on Monday and Friday) and the water tap in the center of the town (which is pretty key, trust me, other volunteers will be having to pay people to haul water for them from far away).

I'll post some other photos of my site and the school when I get a chance. For now I'm about to go do some work for "umuganda". I might have mentioned it before, but one Saturday every month it's like a community work day when all residents go out help clean up the roads, cut grass, help with construction, and any other imaginable public works activity. It's pretty cool, though sometimes it's difficult to convince people that as a muzungu I'm not going to break in half from doing just a little bit of manual labor...

Also, I got a USB internet modem, and our center now has wireless access (though quite slow), so for the coming weeks I'll hopefully be blogging more and adding many more pictures. I'm thinking of setting up a flickr account or something to streamline that process, but if so I'll post a link on here.

- Dylan


1 comment:

  1. your bed is the upper bunk, am i right? cause i see a book on it ;)

    ReplyDelete