Disclaimer

All of the content, links, images, and opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Counting Down to Swearing In....

Another day of Model School down, not many left to go…

So yesterday I taught about the American Flag in Model School. It didn’t go horribly, and I even learned a few things myself. For example, do you know what the colors on the American Flag stand for? Or, did you know that at one point there were 15 stripes and 15 stars, until it was changed to reflect the original 13 colonies with only 13 stripes? Well if you did, you knew more than I did before I looked all that up on the internet (though maybe I could have guessed that the white stood for “purity”).

But doing this lesson made me really aware of how big a resource the internet is, and how much easier it is to think of lesson ideas when you can access it. It is true that the millions of documents and ESL things online can be overwhelming and frustrating, and there is a lot of crap out there. But at the same time it’s an amazing resource, and I really hope I can access it regularly at my site. Especially during the first trimester, I’m sure I’ll be needing all the help I can get.

And so now I am standing near the end of Model School, and almost the end of training altogether. I’m not quite sure how to feel, because just as I’m starting to feel adjusted to life here in Nyanza, and to the very warm and friendly atmosphere of Muganda Muri – my “cell”/”neighborhood” here – I’m about to be uprooted again. But then I think about the prospect of living on my own, having my own space, and being able to dictate how I spend most of my time (outside of my teaching schedule of course). The whole idea sounds very attractive at this point, especially during those times when I’m just seeking some time to unwind. Those of you who know me pretty well know understand what I’m talking about, and I appreciate your tolerance. Every so often things build up and I just need some time apart to unwind. I may not be quite the “anti-social superhero” that I believe Caitlin once called a roommate of hers, but sometimes I sure as hell feel like one. Maybe I’d qualify as a sidekick, what do you think Caity?

But the grass is always greener on the other side, I know that, and I’m quite sure a few months of isolation at my site will change how I feel about such things. I’m sure I’ll look back and regret no longer having the cultural and linguistic familiarity that surrounds me here during training with nearly 70 other Americans (we are holding strong at 68 right now). However, training doesn’t spell the end of getting together with other PCVs, and in fact, visiting other PCVs and having them visit you is highly encouraged. Maintaining your sanity is important, and as much as the Peace Corps wants you to spend as much time at your site and in your community as possible, they do realize that having an emotionally healthy PCV is just as important to integration as is maintaining a consistent presence in his/her community.

In other news, there will be some events here this week to commemorate Christmas among us PCTs and PC Staff. Even though Christmas has no religious significance to me for obvious reasons, the familiarity of it as a cultural tradition in the States seems to mean something to me while I’m over here so far away. Or perhaps it’s because I love the cold and the snow, which is not something I’m going to find here. And I can’t forget wintertime comfort food and hot beverages (I drink plenty of tea and coffee, but the sweating afterwards isn’t quite as nice as the warming of the body from the inside out when it’s freezing outside). Did I mention that there is a talent show being held as well? I categorically refused to participate. Aside from what is a completely useless skill of swinging a racquet at a yellow fuzzy ball, or being able to make a snapping sound with my fingers as if I chew tobacco (which I obviously do not, but is something many people can do anyway), I’m a little short in the talent department. I know I know, you’re all thinking, what about my singing! Alas, I think it best to spare others the agony of such an endeavour…

Anyway, I’ll return to listening to the new Kanye album I nabbed from another PCT’s computer. I’m determined to only miss 95% of the pop cultural developments in the States during my two years here! If anyone has any suggestions of what should be included in the remaining 5%, or means of delivering such things to me, then by all means! Say, anybody planning to record and burn a DVD of the NFL Playoffs this year? If you get it to me before the end of next summer I’ll bet I can avoid learning of the results…Just a thought…

- Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment